POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Cloud Surface : Re: Cloud Surface Server Time
15 May 2024 07:59:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud Surface
From: Alain
Date: 28 Nov 2017 17:37:28
Message: <5a1de528$1@news.povray.org>

> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 28/11/2017 18:11, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>>> I want to change the two suns into light-emitting media, can you assist?
>>> I simply lack expertise, never worked with media. Those will later
>>> replace the traditional light_source.
>>
>> Why don't you try yourself. You will never get the expertise if you get
>> others to build your scenes.
>> Help is a good thing but ask for it when you fail to get the results you
>> want.
>
> I'm thinking media won't be able to do what's wanted anyway. Sure, emitting
> media will illuminate surrounding objects, but cast shadows like a light on
> distant things? No, don't believe it can.

Emissive media CAN cast shadows.
For that to happen, you need to use radiosity with "media on" in the
radiosity block.
That way, the media can act like a fuzzy area_light whose brightness can
vary across it's visible surface.

radiosity{count 20000 media on}
default{radiosity{importance 75/20000}}
sphere{100*x 2 hollow pigment{rgbt 1}
  interior{media{emission rgb<100, 50, 20>*25 samples 20}
  radiosity{importance 1}}

Will use an average of 75 radiosity samples for most of the scene's
objects, but a very high count density for that relatively small and
bright object.