POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Cloud Surface : Re: Cloud Surface Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:04:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud Surface
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Nov 2017 03:02:01
Message: <5a1d17f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-11-2017 18:29, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> On 27.11.2017 10:15, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that unless people are generating scene files with a 3rd party
>> application (Pose-Ray, etc), then the standard Left-Handed coordinate system
>> should be the default.
>> I'm not sure what coordinate system you're using - or why.
>
> Hi. Well, in my coordinate system, I am using the "Y" axis for the
> height. But the cloud used a different axis for its height. I had to
> rotate. :-)
>
> On 27.11.2017 10:15, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> Actually defining a COLOR based on density would require a much more complex
>> coding, involving functions, and perhaps a 3-color separation scheme such as
>> Stephen uses for his DF3's
>
> I just don't know. I never usually work with media and density. Always
> only with regular shapes and differences only. But I believe, I need
> such density effect here.

Density is best to be used for what it is made for: density. So, the
colour used in a density's colour_map are shades of grey from black to
white.

If you want the media to be coloured, then that can be achieved within
the emission/absorption/scattering parameters. However, clouds by
themselves are always white/grey (water vapour, remember?). Adding
colour makes no sense, except if you want to show alien additives like
pollution or ashes (volcanoes).

--
Thomas