POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Cloud Surface : Re: Cloud Surface Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:05:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud Surface
From: Alain
Date: 27 Nov 2017 18:59:37
Message: <5a1ca6e9$1@news.povray.org>

> This is how it looks without scattering and emission. :-)
>
> Both seem to be required for correct colors. But look to the lowest
> posting in this thread, that is an update and I try out an isosurface there.
>
> My need now is, instead of fog, a media that can give me what I need.
> See the 2nd attached image, it shows the different atmospheric layers I
> need:
> - ground fog just reaching above clouds
> - orange distant layer, hiding the edges of my clouds
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.6
>

> ---

> http://www.avg.com

You have only absorption. You need scattering, NO emission and probably
no absorption.

Scattering media interact with light and get illuminated by it. It can
show, and cast, shadows. In a radiosity scene with "media on", it can
illuminate it's surrounding from the light it scatters. It can show
against any background. Think of a cloud, turbid water, dust in
suspension in the air,...

Emissive media don't interact with lights and is self illuminated. In a
radiosity scene, it can illuminate it's surrounding if you use "media
on" in your radiosity block. Visible against darker background. Think of
a plasma.

Absorbing media cause shadow and can hide the parts of the scene behind
it. It is never illuminated by any lights. Visible against lighter
backgrounds. Think of dark smoke loaded with carbon particles.