POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Cloud Surface : Re: Cloud Surface Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:40:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud Surface
From: clipka
Date: 27 Nov 2017 14:52:33
Message: <5a1c6d01$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.11.2017 um 19:12 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

>> The latest version is v3.8.0-alpha.9387404.
>>
> But not available on the Pov-Ray website. I heard, for now it is only
> available at GitHub. I would like a lot to download the 3.8 Windows
> version. Any direct URL for it?

"Available at GitHub" doesn't mean "only available as source code", as
GitHub is more than just a place for Git source code repositories.

For instance, we also make use of GitHub's "issues" feature, to track
bug reports -- and, more to the point, we also make use of GitHub's
"releases" fature, to put up binaries for release.

There, you can find Windows builds for various post-v3.7.0 releases,
including the aforementioned v3.8.0-alpha version:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-alpha.9387404

For a list of all releases (starting from v3.7.0.0), see:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases

Why do we not put up all binaries on our website? Multiple reasons. But
in a nutshell, they all boil down to the fact that it is a piece of cake
to automate releases on GitHub (as long as they're binary-only, at any
rate). Theoretically, we could have Windows binaries automatically built
and published on GitHub for each and every source code version pushed,
without so much as lifting a finger.

In practice, we limit that automation to specific branches, and require
that a human manually authorize publication of the release, giving them
an opportunity to amend the release notes along the way if deemed
necessary (or reject the release entirely).

Also, the automated build process is currently set up to generate
binary-only releases, which need to be dropped into an existing
installation. We may or may not change that in the future.