POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Unkonown foreign object : Re: Unkonown foreign object Server Time
1 May 2024 16:42:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unkonown foreign object
From: clipka
Date: 21 Nov 2017 15:15:44
Message: <5a148970$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.11.2017 um 16:22 schrieb Kontemplator:

> I'm not a Pov Power User nor an absolute beginner. Rather i'm a bad weather
> Pover.

Judging from the weather in Cologne, it's perfect POVing weather for you
then ;)

> Last weekend, I played arround with a simple photon szene and accidently
> set the ior of the sphere less than 1. Then these strange object appeared inside
> the sphere. These effect has nothing to do with media. Maybe someone can explain
> the phenomen.

I'm not exactly sure what the red mass is we see, but I'm pretty sure
it's something inside or behind the sphere (I'm rather surprised about
its brightness though).

We only see part of the red mass; near the outline of the sphere,
transparency suddenly breaks down due to an effect known as "total
internal reflection" (except that due to the below-1 refractive index
it's actually external rather than internal), so what we see there is a
reflection of the environment.