POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothed in light. : Re: Not Clothed in light. So partial nudity Server Time
18 May 2024 09:54:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not Clothed in light. So partial nudity
From: clipka
Date: 16 Nov 2017 15:04:21
Message: <5a0def45@news.povray.org>
Am 16.11.2017 um 16:09 schrieb Bald Eagle:

>> So
>> if you already have a complete room, there's no point in using HDRI for
>> illumination.
>
> Well...
> I might not go that far - I thought that the whole idea with a light probe was
> the high dynamic range.
> Perhaps there's a way to achieve the same effect with a "proper scene" - but I'd
> probably need a tutorial.

Actually, the primary idea in "high dynamic range light probe" is the
light probe part -- having something for your objects to reflect and be
illuminated by, without having to actually model that something. The
"high dynamic range" part merely solves a bottleneck that limited the
usefulness of light probes, namely the quality at which they could be
stored in image files.

That bottleneck does not exist when your backdrop and illumination
source is a genuine scene rather than just a fancy picture.

As a matter of fact, you're benefiting from POV-Ray's internal high
dynamic range capabilities each time you use a classic light source with
a brightness value above 1. (Or even values below that, if you're using
the "albedo" syntax for specular highlights.)