POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothed in light. : Re: Clothed in light. Server Time
4 May 2024 22:02:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothed in light.
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Nov 2017 16:32:53
Message: <5a0b6105@news.povray.org>
On 14/11/2017 13:57, clipka wrote:
> Am 14.11.2017 um 10:57 schrieb Stephen:

>>> Yes indeed although I like this ballet school setting with the mirrors.
>>
>> It is old enough to have been made in Moray. :-)
>>
>>> A couple of things, if I may: (1) the overhead lights should be dimmed
>>> - probably by at least 50 % (if not 25%) also for compensating the
>>> light reflections from the mirrors.
>>
>> The lighting is problematic. The light in the hall of mirrors brightens
>> when I switch on radiosity. I did not mean this to turn into an
>> experiment in radiosity but it looks looks like it is going to be. I
>> have a normal area light in there to even things out.
>
> Problems with different "quality levels" of illumination are to be
> expected here, due to the huge mirrors as well as the glowing wings.
>

> In reality, objects in the room would be lit by...:
>
> (1) Light coming directly from the light sources.
>
> (2a) Light bouncing off diffuse objects.
> (2b) Light emitted by glowing stuff.
>
> (3a) Light bouncing off diffuse objects and then the mirrors.
> (3b) Light emitted by glowing stuff and bouncing off the mirrors.
>
> (4) Light coming from the light sources and bouncing off the mirrors.
>
> (5) Light bouncing off the mirrors and then diffuse objects.
>

> To simulate (1), "classic" raytracing will do.
>
> To simulate (2) and (3), you need to enable radiosity.
>
> To simulate (4), you need to enable photons.
>
> To simulate (5), you need to enable both radiosity and photons.
>
> If any of these are not simulated, the corresponding portion of
> illumination will simply be missing, causing the image to appear darker.
>
> The lack of illumination from (2), (3) and (5) can be compensated for to
> some degree, by making use of the "ambient" mechanism.
>

> As far as overall brightness goes, you should ideally use renders with
> radiosity and photons as a yardstick, and set up "ambient" accordingly
> for fast test renders.
>
> (As a faster alternative to photons for this particular scene, you might
> try using mirrored copies of your primary light sources,
> `projected_through` the corresponding mirrors. Make sure to properly
> account for any dimming effect if your mirrors aren't 100% reflective.)

Thanks, they aren't, they are about 95% reflective. But I've ditched the
ordinary light source and am using emissive cubes as light sources.
I was thinking of adding a scattering media container first. Before
trying photons.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'studio_vic2d_y_901a1_0000.png' (764 KB)

Preview of image 'studio_vic2d_y_901a1_0000.png'
studio_vic2d_y_901a1_0000.png