POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qtpov : Re: qtpov Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:37:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpov
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2017 08:04:16
Message: <5a06f550$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.11.2017 um 09:41 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 10/25/2017 09:22 AM, dick balaska wrote:
>> I started on qtpov.
>
> I got a bit sidetracked with making a configurable colored editor,
> because *that's* important. (It's better to look good than to feel good,
> and darling, you look mahvelous).

I hear you. With all the computer games I intended to write as a kid, I
/did/ always complete the title screen ;)

> Also, that gave me time to contemplate how best to attack websockets[1].
>
> I was going to piggyback on the unix build and add a -N4041 option to
> open a listen port on 4041. Without the option, it'd be a regular unix
> build.
>
> Perhaps a better approach, certainly easier, is to replace the unix
> frontend with a websocket frontend. This is due to the message system
> being point-to-point, instead of a buss.
>
> I have the basic program built. It is DDS[2] but it builds.
> I changed ./prebuild.sh to take a --websockets option to cause it to
> generate the correct Makefiles. I'm not sure I like that from a user's pov.
>
> I keep going back and forth as to whether the separate websockets binary
> is better than a single unix binary that does traditional and websockets.

Uh... wait!
Unix binary?
If you go for Qt, then by all means please make sure the system in its
entirety is portable.
I'd presume that if you really go for separating the GUI from the
program that renders scenes, this means writing a new Qt-based instance
of the latter.