POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to? light_source shining through a wall : Re: How to? light_source shining through a wall Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to? light_source shining through a wall
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 8 Nov 2017 08:27:39
Message: <5a03064b$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/08/2017 07:36 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Consider the following setup:
>
> - a camera
> - an object in front of the camera
> - a solid/non-transparant wall behind the object
> - a light_source behind the wall
>
> Now, for some arcane reason, I want the light_source to shine on the
> object while the wall remains visible to the camera.
>
> I first thought of a light_group {} with object and light_source in it,
> but the wall still blocks the light.
>
> Any smart idea? I am sure it should be possible and I have the nagging
> feeling that it has been done before.

Have you tried the no_shadow object qualifier on your wall object?

If no_shadow cannot be used for some reason, perhaps the light_source's
'projected_through' object feature might do the trick? There the object
could be a say thin box of sized how ever you want relative to the wall
and toward the object(1) from the wall. To this object you'd add the
usual no_image, no_shadow, no_reflection qualifiers as needed.

Bill P.

(1) - An idea I've had on my to to-try list for a long while, is to
variously light all the rooms in a large building - or a bunch of street
lights say - with a single light source using the projected_through
feature with a multi-shape object providing for 'magic light wormholes'
into each room/location. Think it would work to the first order. Unsure
it would result in a faster render - and perhaps the look of the lights
would be too limited...