POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : New version screen.inc : Re: New version screen.inc Server Time
3 May 2024 13:09:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New version screen.inc
From: clipka
Date: 7 Nov 2017 05:26:31
Message: <5a018a57$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.11.2017 um 09:05 schrieb jr:
> hi,
>
> On 06/11/2017 21:10, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> True, I know the version AND date are redundant - I was just thinking about
>> looking through a directory, and having the date "float" the filename to the
>> top.   ...
>
> not sure about Windows but if you want to have the most recent files
> shown first, using the 'ls' command you'd need to use an option switch
> to make it sort in reverse order.

Nice idea, but there's a catch: All it can sort by is file creation or
last modification time. Which may happen to be the same as the time the
file was originally conceived by the author, but it may just as well be
something entirely different, depending on the toolchain that eventually
placed it on your file system.

Also, no operating system (well, none commonly used anyway) or file
management tool can sort by file name first /and/ timestamp second.
Because you can't have multiple files with the same name but different
timestamps.