POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How to avoid concentric rings with spot light on flat surface : Re: How to avoid concentric rings with spot light on flat surface Server Time
29 Apr 2024 22:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to avoid concentric rings with spot light on flat surface
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2017 09:18:56
Message: <5a006f50$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.11.2017 um 15:12 schrieb clipka:
> As for not giving an advantage with JPEG, that's intentional: Dithering
> is high-frequency low-amplitude noise, which is exactly the type of
> signal JPEG compression tends to throw away. With POV-Ray's standard
> JPEG quality settings you wouldn't see a difference between an image
> that had dithering applied and an image that didn't. You'd need
> top-quality settings, at which image size probably wouldn't differ much
> from a PNG. Therefore, JPEG output currently doesn't support dithering
> at all (though I might change that).

As another side note, I guess passing the image data to the JPEG library
at a higher bit depth might also be able to work around the colour
banding, without requiring increased JPEG quality settings. However,
this would require compiling a custom version of the JPEG library; also,
the banding might be re-introduced later in the toolchain, depending on
viewing / post-processing software.