POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nordic Sunset : Re: Nordic Sunset Server Time
7 May 2024 07:44:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nordic Sunset
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Nov 2017 08:33:13
Message: <59f9bf09$1@news.povray.org>
On 1-11-2017 12:53, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> [wip]
>>
>> I suggest some music by Jan Sibelius.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Wow -
> That's coming along beautifully, Thomas - it's beginning to look positively
> photographic!

Thanks indeed! I concentrated a bit on the sky these last couple of days
and I am rather pleased with the result. More to come of course where
the landscape itself is concerned. Funny, your mentioning of billboards
below: I intend to use them for trees. I first test looks promising.

> My initial impression though, was that it was --- less than 3D - almost a 2D
> billboard.
> I think that's largely due to the nearly identical hue of the light in the
> windows and the sky behind the house.  It gives a strong impression that I'm
> looking through a flat cardboard cutout.  I didn't get a sense that there were
> interior rooms with a separate volume.  No far walls.

I agree with you and I am not too happy with the present state of the
windows. Obviously, I need to concentrate some efforts on the invisible
background (I have some ideas about that) but maybe also decrease the
reflection from the window panes.

> With regard to the stone archway[s] - perhaps if you could swing your camera
> around -y a bit, so that the base of the tower was partially visible through the
> lit archway, it would give a much stronger sense of depth.
> Also, if there's a way to accentuate the shadow of the other arch, that seems
> like it would help a bit as well.

Hmm... I have to see what can be done. The present geometry is rather
delicately balanced with the foreground an integral part of the house
mesh (through the access road).

> I'm not sure how much you've investigated the lighting from the sunset, but if
> it were a few minutes earlier, with the last faint rays of light coming across
> the landscape toward the camera - and illuminating the underside of the clouds,
> I think that would provide a fantastic contrast and interplay of light and
> shadow.

Just a question of playing with the altitude angle of the Sun. ;-)

The sunbeams indicate that the Sun is still a bit too high for
illuminating the undersides of the clouds, so I guess the time should be
a few minutes later. I shall experiment.

> I know you've been at it for a long time, and I'm just making some suggestions
> to help you show off that work in all its splendor.

I am glad with the comments though and will always appreciate them. The
irony (for me at least) is that I am spending months in an absurdly and
painstakingly detailed modelling of a house, and then use it in a scene
where all those details are virtually invisible! Oh well, the
satisfaction is in the buckets of sweat produced. :-)

--
Thomas