POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Standalone editor & parser? : Re: Standalone editor & parser? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:55:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standalone editor & parser?
From: clipka
Date: 27 Oct 2017 09:38:11
Message: <59f336c3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.10.2017 um 13:53 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> "jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>> You can already run the Windows Povray version off a USB stick.
>
> Is there a special way I have to "install" it on the USB?
> I tried to copy the bin directory onto a USB and run the executable, and got:

> ERROR: Cannot find Home entry in registry (and cannot infer it).

You'd have to copy the whole POV-Ray install directory (e.g. `C:\Program
Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\`) to the USB stick (e.g. `E:\POV-Ray\v3.7\`).

In addition, you'd have to copy POV-Ray's directory of user-editable
files (sample scenes, include files etc., e.g.
`C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7`) to the USB stick (e.g.
`E:\User\POV-Ray\v3.7\

On the system you want to work on, you'd then have to invoke the
following command once:

    pvengine.exe /INSTALL "E:\POV-Ray\v3.7\" "E:\User\POV-Ray\v3.7\"

(It should also be possible to throw both directories together on the
USB stick.)

However, this does not really qualify as a so-called "portable
installation", which is what most people expect when they talk about
"running program XY off a USB stick", as the above command does actually
modify the computer's registry. This means that it won't work on a
computer where you don't have the necessary administrative privileges.

Also, if you later work with POV-Ray on the same computer again, and
another USB stick happens to be plugged in, so that the USB stick's
drive letter changes (e.g. "F:" instead of "E:"), you have to invoke the
above command /again/ (with according changes).