POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering an electromagnetic field and photon rays : Re: Rendering an electromagnetic field and photon rays Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:48:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering an electromagnetic field and photon rays
From: Alain
Date: 25 Oct 2017 16:59:19
Message: <59f0fb27$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17-10-25 à 11:48, cbpypov a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to render a high quality "cover art" for a physics thesis
> (nanophotonics). I have basically two questions:
>
>    1. What is the best way to generate a "glowing field distribution"?
>    2. What is the best way to illustrate a light ray or "photon path" coming from
> an emitter, say a small glowing sphere
>
> For 1): Say I have field values in 3D that I could assign to desired colors and
> brightness values. So that that I have e.g. a list of (x, y, z, R, G, B,
> brightness). I thought of using a light source source at each point, maybe also
> using a semitransparent looks_like attribute; together with a medium, like:
>
> box{
>     <-10,0,0>, <20, 5, 10>
>     pigment { rgbt 1 } // clear
>     hollow
>     interior{
>       media{
>         scattering{ 1., 0.17 extinction 0.01}
>         samples 5*Media_Quality, 10*Media_Quality  // min, max
>       } // end media
>     } // end interior
>   } // end box
> #end
>
> But it does not have the desired effect. So how can I achieve something like
> this?
>
> for 2): They should moreover be small particles emitting focussed beams or maybe
> glowing wiggly rays. Does anyone have an example of how to implement this?
>
> Thanks in advance

You should note that the second samples parameter is never used unless
you use sampling method 1 or 2. By default, method 3 is used.
You correctly don't use intervals, so, it keeps it's proper default
value of 1. Increasing that will only make your renders take a LOT more
time.

As said elsewhere, using emissive media seems more appropriate as you
are modeling an area of emission. It will also render much faster.