POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Victorian House : Re: Victorian House Server Time
20 May 2024 21:55:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Victorian House
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 13 Oct 2017 08:33:50
Message: <59e0b2ae$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/10/2017 à 18:41, Alain a écrit :
> Le 17-10-12 à 02:36, And a écrit :
>

>> Well, that it seems poseray adds a symbolic vector, because <0,0,1>
>> does not
>> inside my model in fact. And it shouldn't get such an information
>> because the
>> mesh was output from sketchup it does not contain that, moreover most
>> of the
>> mesh 3d model does not have a well construct that contain a inside/
>> outside
>> distinction.
>>

> It's not a sympolic vector, it's a DIRECTION vector.
> To see if ANY point is inside the mesh, POV-Ray shoot a ray from that
> point in the direction of the inside_vector.
> With the default vector rovided, the test ray is parallel to the Z axis
> toward +Z.
> It's similar to the normal vector of a plane.

And to finish the explanation: POV-Ray counts the number of
intersections from that point along that vector, to infinity.

When odd, the point is inside,
when even, the point is outside.

(Unless inside & outside were inverted)

Hence it's better for the vector to never be perpendicular to any normal
of the triangles of the mesh, should bad luck occurs for a point in the
exact plane of that triangle, the inside/outside test might be "fluffy".