POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sven - Roman Galley Oar : Re: Sven - Roman Galley Oar Server Time
3 May 2024 07:42:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sven - Roman Galley Oar
From: clipka
Date: 11 Oct 2017 18:01:33
Message: <59de94bd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.10.2017 um 19:01 schrieb Kenneth:
> Off-topic, but I wanted to mention your image appearance, which is TRULY strange
> on my end: I'm using the *latest* update to Firefox to view the newsgroups, and
> this is what I'm seeing (they're screenshots)-- a vast difference between the
> small newsgroup preview and the large one (from clicking on the small preview.)
> Yikes!
>
> Nutty PNG gamma, possibly? This looks like a worse problem than my own 'weird
> PNG gamma' posting of several months ago!

The PNG image in question has an alpha channel; everything except the
oar is transparent.

When firefox displays images "stand-alone" (as opposed to inside a HTML
page), it does so on what usually looks like a dark grey background; but
apparently that's actually just a passepartout-ish frame, while the
actual background (which is only visible in any transparent portions of
the image) defaults(*) to a light grey.

The piece of software used to generate the preview images, on the other
hand, seems to simply be ignoring the alpha channel, effectively turning
the transparent portions pitch black.

(*The PNG file format specification allows for the image header to
suggest a particular background colour for stand-alone display of the
image; however, the PNG image in question doesn't come with such a piece
of information. Also, the displaying application may or may not ignore
such a suggested background colour.)