POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A couple parser performance issues/optimizations. : Re: A couple parser performance issues/optimizations. Server Time
17 May 2024 06:54:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A couple parser performance issues/optimizations.
From: jr
Date: 11 Oct 2017 11:41:19
Message: <59de3b9f$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

this is an interesting discussion/insight into the inner workings.

but I'm troubled by

On 11/10/2017 10:44, Kenneth wrote:
> I need to look through my scenes to try and eliminate as many unnecessary
> comments as possible in any #while/#for loops, and in any #macros that are
> called multiple times.

IMO no programmer should have to degrade the documentation to gain
performance.  to spare Kenneth (+others) the editing, I've written a
small utility which will strip comments from a given scene/include file
and output a new file named exactly as its input but prefixed 'nc_', ie

  $ nocomment myscene.pov

outputs 'nc_myscene.pov'.

I've run it against a bunch of distribution scene files and has no
problems.  the code (with Makefile) is posted in p.binaries.misc under
"nocomment".

regards, jr.