POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More materials based on proximity patterns : Re: More materials based on proximity patterns Server Time
28 Apr 2024 22:42:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More materials based on proximity patterns
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Oct 2017 02:49:43
Message: <59d87907$1@news.povray.org>

(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.59d7a90b58cfc649473ac47e0%40news.povray.org%3E/).

> It's a 4 part download because of mesh size.
>
> By the way - here is another render with 2 extremely large meshes (600 MB for
> the Napoleon statue and 400 MB for the dragon figure in mesh2 formate).
> It took several trials with different PoseRay versions to transform the basic
> obj files (coming from Artec 3D -
> https://www.artec3d.com/3d-models/art-and-design).
>
> What are your experiences with large models - are there ways to improve
> stability of the mesh conversion?

Thanks for this Norbert.

Concerning conversion of very large models/meshes (from obj to mesh2), I
seem to remember issues with them in Poseray. However - now that I think
about it - they mainly concerned using subdivision levels and thus
crashing Poseray. It may be something to talk about with FlyerX. With
meshes becoming more complex alongside faster hardware and more memory,
there might come a moment when Poseray will need an upgrade (rather than
an update?).

--
Thomas