POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
28 Jun 2024 06:52:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Stephen
Date: 26 Sep 2017 15:36:51
Message: <59caac53@news.povray.org>
On 26/09/2017 20:11, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> I think it has something to do with the metal contracting in the cold, and
>> freeing up parts that are binding (bearings) or touching when they're not
>> supposed to be (platters & read/write heads}
>
> I guess it depends on the vintage.
> Yours is likely Digitalais nouveau...
>
> (That's different than digitalis, which is a cardiotoxic glycoside from the
> heart-stoppingly beautiful foxglove.)

You're pushing your metaphors. ;)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3035017/storage/that-old-freezer-trick-to-save-a-hard-drive-doesnt-work-anymore.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+in+freezer&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS633US634&oq=hard+drive+in+freezer&aqs=chrome.0.0l
> 6.3498j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I was going to mention the freezing the HDD. But the above put me off.
You're other advice about cleaning contacts, is spot on. :)
I used to use an old fashioned eraser if no one was looking.

> I actually have 2 old IDE Western Digital HDD's that I need to see if I can
> transfer the data from one to the other (or any other drive)
> One looks good, and the other is slightly corroded...
> I'd explain why, but it's a long and terrifying story - because reality is
> SOOOOO much stranger than fiction.

Yes, that's an acceptable reason not to say. :)
--

Regards
     Stephen