POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 Server Time
30 Apr 2024 19:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209
From: clipka
Date: 26 Sep 2017 06:41:08
Message: <59ca2ec4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.09.2017 um 00:03 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> Well, that explains why I can't access the help menu / docs with either F1 or
> the drop-down menu.

Well... no, that's a different problem (though not entirely unrelated):
The name of the help file has been changed from `povray37.chm` to
`povray.chm`.

You can obtain an up-to-date help file from our GitHub repo; here's link
directly to the download:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/raw/release/v3.8.0/distribution/platform-specific/windows/Help/povray.chm

>> Another reason might be that POV-Ray's version numbering scheme has
>> never been officially codified until quite recently.
>
> Is there documentation / explanation for how that all works?
> Just curious, because one thing I'd like to see folks voluntarily adopt is
> version numbers in their filenames and as comments in the code.
>
> I often can't figure out which file I have, or what the latest file of the 12
> all-named-the-same "myUsefulMacros.inc" is, and if I understood the reasoning
> behind the classification, I could start to play along from home.  ;)
>
> It would also be useful for the Insert-Menu, parts of which I tend to
> extensively edit, and am paranoid that I'm going to accidentally obliterate with
> some new version installation....

Not sure what your question is here.

If you are looking for a good version numbering scheme for stuff you've
created (or that others have created), I strongly recommend having a
look at Semantic Versioning (http://semver.org/).

In a nutshell, in Semantic Versioning version numbers take the form
`MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH`, where all of `MAJOR`, `MINOR` and `PATCH` are
numeric, and...

- An increment in `MAJOR` indicates backward-incompatible changes.
- An increment in `MINOR` indicates added functionality.
- An increment in `PATCH` indicates bugfixes.

In addition, an optional (not necessarily numeric) suffix of the form
`-PRE` can be appended, indicating that this is not quite version
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH yet (e.g. `-alpha`, `-beta.32`, `rc2` or the like).

In binaries, another optional (not necessarily numeric) suffix,
`+BUILD`, can be appended to distinguish different binaries built from
the same source code version (e.g. `+win32-sse2`).

As for POV-Ray's recently codified version numbering scheme, it is
strongly inspired by Semantic Versioning 2.0, but does have some notable
differences. For details, see the following link:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/release/v3.8.0/source-doc/versioning.md