POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 : Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 Server Time
26 May 2024 08:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9
From: clipka
Date: 25 Sep 2017 17:45:46
Message: <59c9790a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.09.2017 um 17:09 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> - So the LuxRender code itself is open source with a license compatible
> with POV-Ray's AGPLv3 license?

LuxRender used to be licensed under GPL, presumably 3.0 (that's what
they're still displaying on their website, at any rate), but has
recently transitioned to something they refer to as "APL 2", presumably
Apache license 2.0 (that's what the `license.md` file in their repo is
titled, at any rate).

Note that neither GPL 3.0 nor, to my knowledge, the Apache license 2.0
contain provisions to relicense covered works under the AGPL 3.0, so we
can't just copy-and-paste LuxRender code into POV-Ray.

The AGPL 3.0, GPL 3.0 and, to my knowledge, Apache license 2.0 are
however compatible with each other in the sense that source files
covered by either of those licenses can coexist with source files
covered by another of those licenses within the same project (provided
they in fact comprise separate translation units, which are then
combined in the linkage phase of a build).

Of course IANAL.