POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 : Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 Server Time
2 Jun 2024 01:05:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Sep 2017 11:09:57
Message: <59c91c45$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/25/2017 04:38 AM, Mr wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 09/23/2017 08:19 AM, Ive wrote:
>>>
>>>   From what I can tell, especially aimed at architectural
>>> pre-visualisation,
>>
>> So these could likely be a little sloppy. Good to know.
>
> two open source available implementations:
> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Lighting#IES_data
>
> If in doubt, a good compromise to not go as far as full IES support is also to
> look at Blender's custom curves light attenuation where a spline commands the
> blending of a spotlight from center to edge of cone:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/ja/dev/render/blender_render/lighting/lights/light_attenuation.html#custom-curve

Thanks for these references.

Starting with the Blender reference, you can accomplish the custom
curves sort of thing - and more - already in POV-Ray though in a less
pre-packaged way. See the attached 3.8 scene for a quick example.

On the luxrender reference.

- So the LuxRender code itself is open source with a license compatible
with POV-Ray's AGPLv3 license?

- Assuming a little about how the luxrender mesh light sources actually
work and seeing their warning regarding IES light intensity corruption
due them... One advantage of having some enclosing shape for
non-spherical lights while handing the spherical IES light profile is
that it gives you an adjustable transmission channel over the surface of
the shape which can compensate for less-than-correct IES fading for
non-point/centered source lights. Though, I have to think with some
work, the same sort of adjustments/compensations could be part of any
mesh light implementation using IES profiles and it more a matter it has
not yet been done.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: