POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
15 May 2024 12:07:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Stephen
Date: 23 Sep 2017 11:58:08
Message: <59c68490$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/09/2017 14:39, Kenneth wrote:

>> If your description of the method is correct, the draw back would be
>> that you have to produce a new transparency map for every new camera
>> setting or transformation to the object. This is not the case with the
>> DF3 method.
>>

> You're correct, if you intend to move the camera or object(s) around.
> Illusion.inc is really for a pre-set static scene (more or less, which I'll
> describe below.)
>
> Basically, illusion.inc can be thought of a an old-style 'color slide
> projector', placed *at* the POV-Ray scene's camera position. The projected image
> fills the entire rendered frame--but you choose which objects in the scene to
> apply the projected image onto. (Each object shows only that particular portion
> of the full image 'texture'.) In other words, the *same* illusion.inc image is
> 'attached' to any/all of the objects. The visual effect of this is fundamentally
> different from applying typical image_maps to the objects: The z-depth of the
> individial objects doesn't matter-- the projected image itself will always
> appear the same size on them, and undistorted, even on spherical objects (for
> example.)

I'm sure that you can use illusion.inc in animations. You would need to
run two animations. The first to generate the AO images the second to
use that in the final images. If you could create the alpha-channel mask
in PovRay. It might be possible to do it in a continuous three step
animation.

I too am a big fan of Rune's illusion.inc code.

> But here's a really interesting feature (the most important one, IMO): Although
> the illusion.inc 'camera position' is supposed to match the scene's real
> camera-- for the best undistorted image reproduction-- the scene camera CAN be
> moved around (somewhat, within limits.) I've used this for some really cool
> animations; the visual result is like a 3-D 'matte painting'.

Examples, please. :-)
Flaunt it. :-)

--

Regards