POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
14 May 2024 20:44:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Sep 2017 02:42:49
Message: <59c60269$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-9-2017 16:47, Kenneth wrote:
> "Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>
>> probably you overcame the texture fit problem.
>> If not I can recommend proximity pattern by using an ambient occlusion render
>> together with the usage of Rune's illusion code. This method is fast and very
>> precise for small details.
>>

> That's a beautiful image.
>
> I'm a big fan of Rune's illusion.inc code. If I understand your method
> correctly, it means generating an ambient occlusion render first (in whichever
> way you want to go about that--a grayscale image, with the entire scene and
> object using a temporary white pigment?) Then, using illusion.inc to
> 'camera-project' that AO render back onto the object's real texture, as an
> additional overlay.
>
> If I'm correct about the method, then the grayscale AO render first needs to be
> taken into, say, Photoshop, to create an alpha-channel mask (using the *same*
> image for that but inverted, to create transparency for the white parts of the
> image.) *Then* it's overlayed onto the object, so that the real texture can show
> through--except where the AO render has darker areas.
>
> Correct so far? (I hope I'm making sense.) Or does your method use an actual
> 'proximity pattern' as well, in some way?
>
> To Thomas: Nice work with your trials and experiments. I still haven't played
> around with the proximity pattern code yet; real-life chores keep getting in the
> way. Very irritating :-/

Thanks Kenneth.

I have used AO myself in other contexts but I never used (yet)
illusion.inc; the ToDo list is getting too long. ;-)

If your description of the method is correct, the draw back would be
that you have to produce a new transparency map for every new camera
setting or transformation to the object. This is not the case with the
DF3 method.

--
Thomas