POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Whats Next : Re: Whats Next Server Time
6 May 2024 22:04:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Whats Next
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 13 Sep 2017 05:18:36
Message: <59b8f7ec$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/12/2017 7:53 AM, Norbert Kern wrote:
> Personally I love metal materials, but it's difficult to predict their behavior
> in several scene setups.
> Metals depend on their environment, reflections are more important than diffuse
> settings. Metals show sharp contrasts between shadows and highlights.
>
> Therefore I prefer hdr lighting or at least a combination of a normal
> lightsource and hdr

yep i'm a metal materials fan as well ... and yes you are correct adding
hdr is definitely the way to go because it makes for plenty of eye candy
in the reflections

> Here I took the nice rolly_sphere together with a more polished silvery metal
> material:

lol ... i have a silver version too. copper looks pretty cool as well.
i'm working on a glass version but there have been some challenges.
something opaque behaves better in that the shape of the object isn't
lost. to that end i've been working on a milk glass version ... i'll
post if i'm able to produce something worthy. thanks for sharing!!!