POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : total solar eclipse realism : Re: total solar eclipse realism Server Time
6 May 2024 00:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: total solar eclipse realism
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 26 Aug 2017 12:19:06
Message: <59a19f7a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-08-23 09:48 PM (-4), omniverse wrote:
> These renderings include one of my few total eclipse photos for the corona or
> halo. What surprised me so much was an appearance of what looked to me like the
> kind of annular eclipse (moon too far away to fully cover sun) I've seen photos
> of. Albeit with solar filters to make the sun a dim orange.
> As I described to everyone, it was as if a yellow-white neon sign letter O was
> encircling the black void of moon disk. And from there outward was the pale
> blue-white glow shining away from it.

I've seen 3 totalities (60% success rate, BTW).  I have never perceived
a yellow ring around the Moon, and I've never heard anyone else describe
such a feature.  The corona has looked a neutral silver-white to me.

Then again, I have never been able to make out the red solar prominences
either, although I've heard many people describe them.

It seems that the impression is different to different people.  The only
resolution I can think of is to physically drag your brother to the next
total solar eclipse.  ;-)