POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solidifying a Mesh Object : Re: Solidifying a Mesh Object Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:04:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solidifying a Mesh Object
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 19 Aug 2017 08:12:02
Message: <59982b12$1@news.povray.org>
On 19.08.2017 04:34, clipka wrote:
> Am 19.08.2017 um 08:04 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
>> Intention:
>>
>> Using the "Difference" function to create caves and tunnels inside a
>> square-shaped piece of Martian surface (a hollow mesh object).
>>
>> What are your solutions, to transfer what is now a mesh, into a solid
>> object. I believe these objects need to be solid, in order to create
>> caves and tunnels through Difference into that body.
>
> The solution has been mentioned multiple times already: In POV-Ray, a
> `mesh` or `mesh2` object is considered solid if (and only if) it has a
> (non-null) `inside_vector` parameter.
>
> The parameter value needs to be a direction, but the actual value is
> usually irrelevant as long as the mesh is closed.
>
> If the mesh isn't closed and has holes, using an `inside_vector` will
> cause artifacts in CSG operations: Essentially, any hole is extruded to
> infinity in the direction opposite to the `inside_vector` direction,
> except that these extrusions don't have visible surfaces and just
> interact in CSG.

Thanks. Yes, I remember to have read it before. Just, how to define such
a non-zero parameter? I never did that before. As I understand, the
location can be anywhere inside the mesh body.

And in case there are gaps, is there any program that can close any open
gaps in meshes, POV, obj, 3DS, whatever format?

---
http://www.avg.com