POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solidifying a Mesh Object : Re: Solidifying a Mesh Object Server Time
29 Apr 2024 10:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solidifying a Mesh Object
From: clipka
Date: 19 Aug 2017 04:34:38
Message: <5997f81e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.08.2017 um 08:04 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Intention:
>
> Using the "Difference" function to create caves and tunnels inside a
> square-shaped piece of Martian surface (a hollow mesh object).
>
> What are your solutions, to transfer what is now a mesh, into a solid
> object. I believe these objects need to be solid, in order to create
> caves and tunnels through Difference into that body.

The solution has been mentioned multiple times already: In POV-Ray, a
`mesh` or `mesh2` object is considered solid if (and only if) it has a
(non-null) `inside_vector` parameter.

The parameter value needs to be a direction, but the actual value is
usually irrelevant as long as the mesh is closed.

If the mesh isn't closed and has holes, using an `inside_vector` will
cause artifacts in CSG operations: Essentially, any hole is extruded to
infinity in the direction opposite to the `inside_vector` direction,
except that these extrusions don't have visible surfaces and just
interact in CSG.