POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solidifying a Mesh Object : Re: Solidifying a Mesh Object Server Time
29 Apr 2024 09:00:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solidifying a Mesh Object
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Aug 2017 04:23:59
Message: <5997f59f$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2017 07:04, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Intention:
>
> Using the "Difference" function to create caves and tunnels inside a
> square-shaped piece of Martian surface (a hollow mesh object).
>
> What are your solutions, to transfer what is now a mesh, into a solid
> object. I believe these objects need to be solid, in order to create
> caves and tunnels through Difference into that body.

You are thinking about it wrongly.
There are no solid mesh objects. The keyword "hollow" has nothing to do
with an object not being solid. It is used for media containers.
You should think in terms of the mesh not having any holes. Then you can
use it with csg without artefacts. In the animation below I intersected
the mesh of Ariel (the ghost) was intersected with a cub then filled
with media. The hollow keyword was used for that.

http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/member/imagenewdisplay/index176.html

When I was creating the df3s for Dhalgren with Thomas. I had a lot of
trouble with the meshes when they had holes in them. (I had to manually
edit the slices that make up the image sequence.)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C58343a6a@news.povray.org%3E/

--

Regards
     Stephen