POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Valles Marineris from STL to POV-Ray : Re: Valles Marineris from STL to POV-Ray Server Time
30 Apr 2024 17:49:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valles Marineris from STL to POV-Ray
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Aug 2017 02:47:13
Message: <5997def1$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-8-2017 18:59, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> I would like to imagine that NASA has created a LARGE full 3-D globe of Mars-- a
>> real-life globe-- carved from the planetary data. That would be something to
>> see!
>
> Well, I would say that is all of the data is available, and since
> planet-building seems to be a long-standing interest of Povvers, that maybe such
> a thing would make a nice, long-term group project.
>
> I'm sure we could learn a lot and discover more things about what POV-Ray can &
> can't do, and it would make a pretty nice PR piece.
> "Hobbyists model ALL of Mars in POV-Ray, a free raytracer with a 25-year
> history..."
>
> It would be a really good test bed for view frustum and back-face culling, all
> sorts of mesh-related work, and probably media for the atmosphere.

Well, as far as Earth is concerned, Christoph Hormann did this:
http://earth.imagico.de/view.php?site=oman1

However, the question might be asked about the above: is it really
worthwhile to model a whole planet as a mesh? From a distance, elevation
features get lost and can better be replaced by appropriate image_maps
and bump_maps (NASA provides those too!); for a close view, mesh tiles
like those NASA produces for Mars are much better suited.

--
Thomas