POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
19 May 2024 08:59:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Alain
Date: 17 Aug 2017 16:33:29
Message: <5995fd99@news.povray.org>
Le 17-08-17 à 15:18, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> 2) Perhaps the 'shoot-from point' (or from *multiple* points)
>
> I would think it would HAVE to be multiple points - because
> (a) if it were just a single point, then
>       (1) it wouldn't make any sense, as there would only ever be one ray
>       (2) and/or you'd get a solid wedge of sorts
> (b) if you only "scan" along that single vector - let's say, starting from any
> point along the other object's bounding box - then how do you handle the case(s)
> where the triangle being tested is perfectly parallel to the ray?
> How many intersection would it be calculated as?

The answer for this one is NAN (Not A Number)

> This suggests that a similar mechanism might be used in reverse to take a
> non-mesh object and construct a point cloud where the ray-[object]surface
> intersection points are.  Then "just" triangulate the point cloud.

The test ray is shot from amy point that need to be tested to see wether
or not it's inside the mesh.

The case of a triangle been perfectly parallel to the vector do exist
and lead to artefacts. In that case, you need to slightly alter the
direction of the vector. Adding something like +0.000001 to one of the
components should be enough in most cases, but there are situations
where it can cause another triangle to become parallel to the vector.