POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
19 May 2024 09:34:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2017 08:39:11
Message: <59958e6f@news.povray.org>
Am 16.08.2017 um 01:12 schrieb Mr:

> Hi, Reading this made me add a few of Lanuhum's properties among which the
> "hollow" keyword option to objects properties interface, otherwise objects are
> solid or as much as pov does it.

Does that option directly correspond to POV-Ray's `hollow on` object
modifier, or does it do something different?

> The inside_vector wasn't supported yet but
> maybe we could add it using the object's origin. that way, if people want a
> specific inside vector they can just mov object's origin knowing that its
> coordinates will be used for inside vector?

The `inside_vector` parameter is /not/ a location, but a direction,
serving a rather technical purpose.

The background is that in order to test whether a point P is inside a
mesh or not, POV-Ray shoots a ray in the direction specified by
`inside_vector`, and counts the number of intersections with the mesh.
If it finds an odd number of intersections in that direction, P is
considered inside, otherwise it is considered outside.