POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
7 May 2024 10:47:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 17 Aug 2017 08:28:37
Message: <59958bf5$1@news.povray.org>
On 17.08.2017 08:00, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
>> Hi, there is the NASA 3D Resources website, offering various vehicles
>> and planetary landscapes as 3D models, formats OBJ and STL.
>>
>> 1. Is there any OBJ to POV converter?
>
> STL to pov, yes.
> https://www.google.com/search?q=stl2pov
>
> OBJ to POV - Poseray
> http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/
>

> I'd probably take the time to do a VERY tiny test scene to get all the comands
> and syntaxes worked out, so that you're making it as easy as possible for
> yourself.
>
> After that, you can just swap out one mesh for the other.
>
> I find it easiest to use mesh files by treating them as include files.
>
> The triangles in a mesh have a "handedness" - an axial chirality.
> Give a "thumbs up" with your left hand, and if you order your triangle vertices
> in the order that your fingers curl, then the normal points up like your thumb.
>
> Order them in the reverse direction, and then the normal points in the opposite
> direction - "thumbs down"
>
> I'd stop trying to use Blender if you want to render your scene in POV-Ray ----
> just convert your OBJ or STL to a mesh, and then do all the fine-tuning in
> POV-ray.
>
> AND, as you know, you can post a (small) mesh and your scene file, and then
> someone can edit it to get it to work.

Thanks. Actually, I did that search some weeks ago, and downloaded the
DOS command-line tool STL2POV. But upon encountering problems with doing
it that way, I started to post here inside the POV newsgroup. Don't even
remember at the moment, what sort of problems I encountered.

Basically, out of these NASA-provided square-shaped Martian terrain
meshes, I want to create solid bodies. Because I want to "dig"
(difference) tunnels into the Martian terrain, in my scenes later on.

I remember now: the resulting meshes in POV-Ray were full of
distortions, insane spikes. STL2POV is not a good solution.

---
http://www.avg.com