POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 2 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 2 Server Time
16 Jun 2024 00:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 2
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Aug 2017 03:05:54
Message: <598ab452$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-8-2017 3:30, Kenneth wrote:
> Another view. No fog this time, but with radiosity (using the defaults, with
> brightness .6. I haven't yet worked out the best rad settings for this kind of
> scene... OR for an animated moving-camera version, which is even more
> demanding.)
>
> No new changes yet, just more buildings (2500 for this render.) And I'm up to 19
> different window/facade image_maps now (and their respective window-reflection
> 'hold-out' mattes.)
>
> The random heights of the buildings-- the number of stories (storeys?)-- is
> controlled with this...
>
>           ceil(2 + 40*pow(rand(PP),4))
>
> .... so there are a minimum of 3 (because of the way rand works-- it never goes
> to 0.0) and a max of 42, I think. I added the exponent to reduce the number of
> really tall buildings... which actually wipes out many of the mid-size scales as
> well. But it's fun to play around with.

This is really good indeed. A building tycoon would lick his lips and
wring his hands seeing all that beautiful building space wasted on low
buildings ;-) But surely he is not aware of the hidden subterranean
problems impeding tall buildings in the first place. Interesting. I
would need to think about the local geology... ;-)

--
Thomas