POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 01:10:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Jul 2017 08:33:04
Message: <5979dd80$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2017 12:52 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>
>> 2. STL will always be a mesh (collection of triangles), stl that can be
>> drilled is an illusion.
>
> Perhaps if the mesh is viewed with an orthographic camera, with even ambient
> lighting, and an even gradient pigment, then the resulting render can be used as
> a heightfield.

The mesh I downloaded, from that site, enclosed a volume with no holes.
But even if it were only a collection of triangles. It is trivial in
blender to join then into a surface and extrude that into a volume. [Did
I actually say that something was trivial in Blender? ^ ^ ]

> Just exploring other options.  :)

It is hard not to. :)

--

Regards