POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : QUESTION: Bump not showing? : Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing? Server Time
15 Jun 2024 05:35:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 25 Jul 2017 19:31:21
Message: <5977d4c9$1@news.povray.org>
On 25.07.2017 01:06, clipka wrote:
> Am 25.07.2017 um 01:41 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
>> Thanks a lot for your assistance, so far. But I admit, I am now irritate
d.

>> Did you see the bump image I posted inside the other group (GENERAL)
>> with the same topic? Someone there told me to reduce the image size,
>> make it 16bit, and increase the contrast between dark and bright areas
>> there. I did that all. Still - no success.
>
> I'm not sure what you are doing there. With the new bump map and using
> the scene from your original post, the attached image is what I get
> (after repairing broken comments and replacing the image_map with a
> plain white pigment).
>
> That looks like bumps to me. (Excessively strong ones, actually; try
> `bump_size 10` or lower.)
>

> You still have some residual issues:
>
> - Contrary to my recommendation, you apparently did not re-generate the
> image with higher contrast and bit depth, but rather just converted the
> old image and blurred it a bit. This still leaves you with artefacts
> from the original color banding.
>
> - You are using `gamma 1.8` in a bump map. This indicates to me that
> /something/ regarding gamma is not quite right: Either you didn't
> understand what you were doing, or your bump map uses a poor encoding
> scheme that gives you more precision in black areas than it does in
> white areas. (To tell which of the two is the case, I'd have to know
> more about how you created the bump map in the first place.)
>
> - Your radiosity block does not contain a `normal on` statement. As a
> consequence, if you turn on radiosity, you will not see any bumps in
> areas that are lit only indirectly.

It seems, with my graphic program I can work only with one layer, if it
comes to 16bit. Cannot create any additional layers when in 16bit, and I
would need, in order to crate a similar pattern.

I use Photoshop v7.0. That is the reason, why I could not create the
image you suggested (and I agree on).   :-(

Will create a new bump image, but it will be again 8bit. But I create it
as a smaller version. Hoping for the best.

---
http://www.avg.com