POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : QUESTION: Bump not showing? : Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing? Server Time
2 May 2024 04:07:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump not showing?
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jul 2017 01:06:19
Message: <5976d1cb@news.povray.org>
Am 25.07.2017 um 01:41 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Thanks a lot for your assistance, so far. But I admit, I am now irritated.
>
> Did you see the bump image I posted inside the other group (GENERAL)
> with the same topic? Someone there told me to reduce the image size,
> make it 16bit, and increase the contrast between dark and bright areas
> there. I did that all. Still - no success.

I'm not sure what you are doing there. With the new bump map and using
the scene from your original post, the attached image is what I get
(after repairing broken comments and replacing the image_map with a
plain white pigment).

That looks like bumps to me. (Excessively strong ones, actually; try
`bump_size 10` or lower.)

You still have some residual issues:

- Contrary to my recommendation, you apparently did not re-generate the
image with higher contrast and bit depth, but rather just converted the
old image and blurred it a bit. This still leaves you with artefacts
from the original color banding.

- You are using `gamma 1.8` in a bump map. This indicates to me that
/something/ regarding gamma is not quite right: Either you didn't
understand what you were doing, or your bump map uses a poor encoding
scheme that gives you more precision in black areas than it does in
white areas. (To tell which of the two is the case, I'd have to know
more about how you created the bump map in the first place.)

- Your radiosity block does not contain a `normal on` statement. As a
consequence, if you turn on radiosity, you will not see any bumps in
areas that are lit only indirectly.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test.png' (90 KB)