POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective? : Re: QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective? Server Time
30 Apr 2024 11:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jul 2017 02:52:41
Message: <596b0d39$1@news.povray.org>
On 16-7-2017 1:41, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> I never actually used bump_maps before. Now I try to use one, but not
> seeing any effect. Can someone assist me?
>
> The scene contains a stratosphere helium balloon, and the bump_map
> should have created the typical balloon surface. However, I don't see
> the surface changed. Before posting any images, I show you the scene
> file. is there any error the way I do it?

Same comments as Omniverse. I give you here an example from my
BeenThereDoneThat scene, the moon in the sky:

#declare MoonMap =
   texture {
     pigment {
       image_map {
         png "PlanetMaps/MoonMap.png" gamma 1.0
         map_type 1
         once
         interpolate 2
       }
     }
     normal {
       bump_map {
         png "PlanetMaps/MoonBump.png"
         map_type 1
         once
         interpolate 2
       }
       bump_size 5.0
     }
     finish {
       diffuse albedo 0.9
     }
   }

That is all that is needed. The bump_size is even rather high but works
best for this scene.

Note that in order for the maps to be effective you need to add the
map_type parameter which seems to be missing in your code. 1 is for a
sphere. See docs for mor info on image_maps and bump_maps.

--
Thomas