POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray 3.7 sometimes omits media photons : POV-Ray 3.7 sometimes omits media photons Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray 3.7 sometimes omits media photons
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 7 Jul 2017 08:09:13
Message: <595f79e9$1@news.povray.org>
During Internet outages, I have been trying to organize my old scenes
that never got properly integrated into my current directory structure
when I bought a new computer in 2006.  For most of these scenes the
images were lost, so I'm rerendering them.

One scene was to trace the path of light through two prisms using media
photons.  Obviously these scenes were written prior to v3.7, so I first
tried rendering it with v3.6.  That turned out horrendously slow (how
did we ever survive back then?), so I tried with v3.7 for the SMP speed
advantage, but the media photons did not show.  After some
investigation, it turned out that removing a looks_like in a totally
unrelated light source restored the photons!

Image beam0-pared-by37-1.jpg was rendered by v3.7.0 with all the
original elements of the original scene file.  The media photons are
missing.  V3.7.1.rc1 yields the same result.

Image beam0-pared-by37-2.jpg was rendered by v3.7.0 with the looks_like
removed, and the media photons are traced.  (As it turned out, SMP saved
a lot less time than one might think, as 2/3 of the elapsed time was
taken by just one render block, and a second block used almost all the
rest!)

Image beam0-pared-by36-1.jpg was rendered by v3.6.1 with all the
original elements of the original scene file, and the media photons are
traced.

I will post the scene file and the statistics logs in p.b.s-f.

POV-Ray versions:
   3.6.1 (g++ 3.4.1 @ i686-pc-linux-gnu)
   This is an official version prepared by the POV-Ray Team.

   3.7.0.unofficial [no source code alterations]
   Compilation settings:
     Build architecture:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
     Built/Optimized for: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
     Compiler vendor:     gnu
     Compiler version:    g++ 4.8
     Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -s -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -pthread

OS: openSUSE 13.2 (GNU/Linux)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'beam0-pared-by37-1.jpg' (18 KB) Download 'beam0-pared-by37-2.jpg' (22 KB) Download 'beam0-pared-by36-1.jpg' (17 KB)

Preview of image 'beam0-pared-by37-1.jpg'
beam0-pared-by37-1.jpg

Preview of image 'beam0-pared-by37-2.jpg'
beam0-pared-by37-2.jpg

Preview of image 'beam0-pared-by36-1.jpg'
beam0-pared-by36-1.jpg