POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : interesting mountains using Fractint? or a user defined function? : Re: interesting mountains using Fractint? or a user defined function? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 14:43:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: interesting mountains using Fractint? or a user defined function?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Jul 2017 15:54:18
Message: <595e956a$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2017 12:55 PM, peyrol wrote:
> In the documentation for height fields, I read this:
>
> "POT files generated with [Fractint] create fantastic landscapes."
>
> It also says a user defined function is possible. I want to put a steep and
> jagged, possibly surreal looking, mountain in the background of an image. Any
> reference to POT files or user functions which might work for me would be most
> welcome. TIA

A collection of sample scenes ships with POV-Ray. On Unix based systems
you can find them in your local install at:

<installdir>/share/povray-<version>/scenes

so something like:

/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/scenes

To your question there is for example a mountain in the benchmark scene
using a function to drive the creation of a height_field. Search for
height_field in <..>/scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov.

Useful includes can be found in

/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/include

With the code base on github you can always grab these files off the web
too - if your install is perhaps more minimal. For scenes in the current
master branch see for look in:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tree/master/distribution/scenes

Bill P.