POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Clockless_Animation : Re: Clockless_Animation Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:59:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clockless_Animation
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jul 2017 12:55:53
Message: <595a7719$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.07.2017 um 18:27 schrieb Kenneth:

>> As guessed by Stephen, that would be the source package, which you
>> /could/ use to compile UberPOV from source codes.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases
>>
>> There, for each such well-defined version you'll again find at least the
>> corresponding source code package (in both zip and tar.gz format), but
>> usually also pre-built Windows binaries.
>>

> Excellent! Thanks (and to Stephen and Green as well.) Yeah, the Github way of
> doing things seems a bit odd and convoluted. Well, at least to me...

I guess it's not GitHub in particular, but rather git. (And yes, that's
/penultimately/ Linux-ey; not surprising actually, given that it was
/invented/ by Linus Torvalds himself /for/ kernel development ;))

> SO... to help others... the Windows binary download (I happen to have chosen the
> 64-bit version) is only a single file called   Uberpov64  and is meant to
> (temporarily) replace v3.70's  'pvengine'  file, in POV-Ray's "bin" directory--
> identical to how the various 3.71 ALPHA releases were installed.
>
> Once I install it there and see the results, I might even try to do likewise in
> one of the latest 3.71 'beta' releases-- just to see what happens ;-)  If there
> is a tremendous explosion on the East Coast of the U.S., you'll know the source,
> ha!

You shouldn't do that. There is no advantage in transplanting UberPOV to
a v3.7.1-beta system whatsoever; to the contrary, you may find UberPOV
interfering with the v3.7.0 installation in interesting ways.

(In a nutshell, the v3.7.1-beta uses directories and registry keys named
"v3.7-beta", whereas v3.7.0 and the latest UberPOV versions use registry
keys named "v3.7".)