POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to uninstall? : Re: How to uninstall? Server Time
17 May 2024 19:55:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to uninstall?
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jul 2017 02:38:58
Message: <5959e682$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.07.2017 um 05:37 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 7/2/2017 3:17 AM, clipka wrote:
>> The proper way to do this stunt would be first of all to use a user
>> account with the privilege to obtain admin privileges. As such a user,
>> you would then invoke Windows Explorer via "run as admin" (which would
>> prompt a UAC popup to grant you admin privileges for this instance of
>> Windows Explorer), access the directory in question, and finally close
>> Windows Explorer again (which would revoke the admin privileges again,
>> because they were limited to the instance of the program anyway).
>>

> I was unable to accomplish this in Windows 7, so I did some research. It
> seems Microsoft disabled this capability after Windows XP. Maybe you
> should actually test your advice first before offering any?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/2a366967-f9fb-4010-81f3-94dc15c86ad3/run-explorer-as-a-different-user?forum=w7itprosecurity

Don't confuse "run as different user" with "run as admin": The former
would actually allow you to run the program as a different user (which
in XP times may have had admin privileges); the latter allows you to run
the program with admin privileges, without switching user accounts.

I wasn't aware that Microsoft has stipped the "run as admin" from the
context menu of the link; but you can still run it as admin by
navigating to "C:\Windows", right-clicking "explorer.exe", and choosing
"run as admin".

That said, yes, I should probably have tested my advice: It turns out
that you don't even need to run Windows Explorer as admin to access
other users' directories. If you are using an account that has UAC
privilege, Windows Explorer will prompt you for UAC elevation "on the
fly" when you click on a folder you don't normally have access to.

> Further, even if this worked, it would not help when using the File >
> Open command inside POV-Ray.

If you were relying on UAC rather than the outdated (for end users)
approach of using separate accounts, you wouldn't have that problem:
You'd click on the other user's directory, would be prompted with a UAC
dialog, and be perfectly fine.