POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to uninstall? : Re: How to uninstall? Server Time
3 May 2024 10:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to uninstall?
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jul 2017 03:17:04
Message: <59589df0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.07.2017 um 20:31 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> I checked a third time, and the popup is for *PERMANENT* access to the
> folder.
>
> If a limited user tries to access the POV-Ray include files in the
> admin's Documents directory, he is given *PERMANENT* access to the whole
> profile folder.

That's because you're doing it wrong (by today's standards). I'm not
sure what you're using there, but whatever it is, I'm quite sure it is
not UAC.

The proper way to do this stunt would be first of all to use a user
account with the privilege to obtain admin privileges. As such a user,
you would then invoke Windows Explorer via "run as admin" (which would
prompt a UAC popup to grant you admin privileges for this instance of
Windows Explorer), access the directory in question, and finally close
Windows Explorer again (which would revoke the admin privileges again,
because they were limited to the instance of the program anyway).

Don't blame it on POV-Ray if your operating system does weird stuff when
you're using weird solutions to problems caused by your own weird(*)
operating system setup.

(*again, by today's standards; note that the last Windows version
without UAC, Windows XP, is a zombie by now: It is way past the end of
its lifecycle. And while we're still producing XP-compatible binaries,
this is out of mere courtesy towards the walking dead, so that there is
still /some/ pathway to install POV-Ray on them. We're no longer putting
any effort into making that pathway particularly pretty.)