POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:40:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Jun 2017 12:38:10
Message: <5942b7f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/15/2017 4:04 PM, Ari wrote:
> Hi folks, I am new to the software and this community. I am a year 1 engineer
> and am recently required to learn this software.

Ah! ha! the evil professor strikes again. :)

> So far, I could do some very
> simple coding work only and my aim is to make a code to generate a scene
> consisting of numerous sand grains like

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C4d98c518%40news.povray.org%3E/27841-grains.jpg

It would gave been better if you had posted the link to the thread. That
way the answer might be in it. Or at least a good clue.

> Could anyone tell me how to stack some objects without them being overlapping
> like the picture above? Besides, how could I approach to generate such code
> (using array? rand? or any other?) Thank you!

What you will want to use is the trace command to find out the distance
to the object below. You also might want to use min_extent & max_extent
to return the minimum and maximum coordinates of a #declared object's
bounding box. ( <-- straight from the help file :-) )

It is not trivial what you want to do, btw.
I am sure you will get help here in the form of general pointers to help
you work it out. :-)
Remember your evil professor may be reading this thread. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen