POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Unix version on Windows : Re: Unix version on Windows Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unix version on Windows
From: dick balaska
Date: 13 Jun 2017 03:07:44
Message: <593f8f40$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-05-18 12:26, also sprach clipka:

> Performance seems to be just as good as the native Windows binaries --
> as a matter of fact, on my machine the Unix variant of beta.7 (compiled
> with g++ 5.4.0) comes out slightly ahead by about 1%.

I have one thing I've been wanting to write up...
In the kitchen of my animation, the tile floor is superellipsoids with a
box for grout between the tiles.
When the camera looks at this floor, Windows renders this 10x faster
than Linux/gcc [1].  (The grout must be present for the extreme
variation.) At least my theory is it's windows vs. Linux.  The problem
with my theory is that my Windows box is also my only hyperthreaded i7
cpu. My linux boxen are all i5(s).  But I don't think it's the CPU, I
think it's the compiler.  Anyway, now I have to write this up as a
proper test. I thought it might be interesting to compare against the
clang results, too.

--
dik

[1] The difference is so striking, 2.7 minutes vs. 30 minutes, that I
thought of modifying my renderfarm to support "prefer this named box for
that range of frames".