POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible Parse Error: Operation Timed Out : Re: Possible Parse Error: Operation Timed Out Server Time
2 May 2024 20:39:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible Parse Error: Operation Timed Out
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jun 2017 16:44:14
Message: <593dab9e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.06.2017 um 21:40 schrieb Mr:
> Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> "Possible Parse Error: Operation Timed Out"
>>
>> What are the possible causes for this Time Out problem? I get it quite
>> often, maybe in 40% of all render attempts.
>
> I also met this in a very simple scene in which texture paths had mixed
> backslashes and forward slashes (it can be invisible such as
> "//dir1/dir2/file.png" which I believe will get converted to
> "\dir1/dir2/file.png" on windows...)
> The new handling of (forward/back/)slashes is more rigid than before, what did
> we gain from it?

What we gained is a more consistent treatment of backslashes in strings.

Previously,

    #include "subdir\test.inc"

did something different than

    #declare FooBar = "subdir\test.inc";
    #include FooBar

with the former effectively resolving to `#include "subdir/test.inc"`,
and the latter effectively resolving to `#include "subdir<TAB>est.inc"`,
where <TAB> would be the tab character (ASCII character hex 09).

Essentially, the former behaviour applied to any string literal
appearing where a filename was expected, while the latter applied to
string literals in any other context.

This was never well documented for the Windows version, and entirely
undocumented for the Unix version, where this behaviour made no sense at
all.

Now both constructs effectively resolve to `#include
"subdir<TAB>est.inc"` -- which is probably not what you want in that
particular context, but it's fully consistent and matches the documentation.

It also simplifies the parser a little bit.

Since forward slashes work as file separators on all platforms, it is
strongly recommended to use those instead of backward slashes.

BTW, "//dir1/dir2/file.png" is _not_ converted to "\dir1/dir2/file.png"
on windows. It's the backward slashes that are converted (two backward
slashes, i.e. "\\", being interpreted as a literal single backward
slash, i.e. "\"), so "\\dir1/dir2/file.png" _would_ be converted to
"\dir1/dir2/file.png"

In POV-Ray for Windows, both forward and backward slashes are ultimately
interpreted as path separators (if the string is used in a filename
context). In POV-Ray for Unix, only forward slashes are interpreted that
way.