POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Counting gear teeth : Re: Counting gear teeth Server Time
5 May 2024 05:38:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Counting gear teeth
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 6 Jun 2017 12:07:49
Message: <5936d355$1@news.povray.org>

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/6002-counting-teeth?focused=6779089&tab=example

> in order to sort through gears that may have 120, 130, 150, .... 200, 210 teeth
>
> Seems like it could be interesting to develop some macros using evalpigment,
> trace, etc.
> Looks like I might have to make some headway on my Fourier transform project, or
> at least use a 3rd party tool to get far enough along the workflow...

The basic of gear (modern) is to choose a module (a pair of gear works
together only if they have the same module) and from the dimension of
the module, you specify the perimeter of the gear as an integer number
(of module).
The ratio of perimeters gives you the reduction of the pair, and the
radius is a direct computation from the previous pieces of data.

For the really accurate gear, you have also to specify the angle of
pressure (and they must match too in a pair).

Both module and angle have standardized values (which can vary with the
standard!).

That's it for normal gear.

For gear on your bicycle, it's a bit different, the basic link of the
chain is the base for the drawing: two cylinders spaced apart.

Now, could you explain what you intended to do with povray and gear ?