POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recovering from a power outage : Re: recovering from a power outage Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:57:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recovering from a power outage
From: clipka
Date: 5 Jun 2017 15:48:14
Message: <5935b57e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.06.2017 um 13:19 schrieb omniverse:

> Tried that now using HxD (https://mh-nexus.de/en/), and that does work okay if
> deleting back from end of file to the prior ViIdINT4.
> Or more precisely, as seen in the Hex editor:
>
> 56 69 49 64 49 4E 54 34 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 03
>
>  or
>
> ViIdINT4........

Yes, those "00", "04" and "03" are characters you're typically losing if
you use any odd text editor.

>> I've had a look at the relevant source code by now, and judging from it
>> there should be no problem reading a truncated file: The code is
>> designed to just read the state file up to the first location that
>> doesn't seem to make sense.
>
> No luck here when I deleted back to a midway point between the ViIdINT4's.
> POV-Ray just acts like the render was done without opening a render window and
> doesn't show any errors in the message pane.

Does that hold true even if you do the truncation in a hex editor?

Because the file is full of "00" and other non-printable characters, and
text editors tend to not treat them nicely.

Also, the file is likely to include some "0D" here and there, which a
Windows-based text editor might interpret as a Unix-style line ending
and replace it with the Windows-style "0D 0A" line ending when saving;
while a Unix-based text editor might do just the opposite, replacing any
occurrence of "0D 0A" with "0D". Either modification will invariably
break the file from that point onward.