POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media ignores an EVEN number of samples : Re: media ignores an EVEN number of samples Server Time
8 May 2024 08:08:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media ignores an EVEN number of samples
From: clipka
Date: 21 May 2017 16:35:17
Message: <5921fa05$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.05.2017 um 18:28 schrieb Kenneth:
> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

>> You forgot the cases where there is shadows involved.
>
> Yeah, the media's self-shadowing behavior is another aspect of this. Regarding
> intervals, are those *partial* shadows in the category of 'illuminated
> intervals' or not? It's a mystery to me!

I've never really looked at the intervals mechanism in detail (I just
know that they exist), but I can't imagine it being able to detect such
cases. I wouldn't even know how it could possibly detect the shadows of
objects. Such effects can only be detected on a sub-interval basis.

So from what I know, the intervals mechanism can only identify the
boundaries of spotlights, and/or possibly overlapping media containers
(though I guess the latter is handled at a higher level).