POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.7.0.1? : Re: POV-Ray 3.7.0.1? Server Time
4 May 2024 08:49:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7.0.1?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 May 2017 07:57:07
Message: <591edd93$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/18/2017 11:32 PM, debguy wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> After almost a week with no Internet, and eager to see what beta 7 has
>> to offer, I spotted a POV-Ray 3.7.0.1 tag.  What's that about?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rayshade-math/
>
> I'd like my link on the POVRay website.  (i know, there are too many?)

I don't have any sort of general update capability, but I've added a
link or two to the http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Contents wiki
page. For example I somewhat recently the How to use PovClipse2 one in
the "Scenes in POV-Ray section.

If link from that page and section OK for you, suggest how you'd like it
to read and I'll add it.

> Please tell me what i can do to update my old link (which i haven't found
> tonight) or make a new one!  THX!
>
> I had a link on povray website (or wiki?) years ago when I made an earlier
> edition: i can't find it now.
>
> Hi there WAS a link for my "converter" (it's for POVRay as much as rayshade).
> It's now MORE than a converter it allows interactive manipulation of Mathematica
> graphics without Export[] to a modeler.  And it makes scene files well from
> Mathematica graphics.  You can obviously go to the URL if you wanted to know
> more.  It's like "povray.m" but much much more than that little thing.  (really
> i'm unsure if it is better or not as good as Mathematica's newest converters in
> 11.0 for ie 3Dstudio, but my guess is better because in their export was far
> worse than their talk ... but i don't know reall).
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rayshade-math/
>
> I also released a sub-version of 3.6.1 which compiles on newer linux and Apple
> Sierra OS without any dependancies (no need to install macports or X to compile
> and use).  just fixed a few things in makefiles.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/povray-3-6-1-1/

I'm not a legal expert but I suspect an actual 3.6.1.1 release on your
part might not be OK with the prior to 3.7 licenses. Providing the
patches required to 3.6.1 to compile more likely OK I'd guess. The
POV-Ray team could more properly comment.

> Thanks very much !
>
> (p.s.  i tried to use 3.7 but had issues.  no GNU make, and for some reason i
> couldn't figure out how to get the recent version that works (i'm an old hand at
> unix but have rarely used git - need 1-2-3 directions.  i still like the old
> Makefile build when possible :)

You can download an unpack various releases of 3.7 from github:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases

via download links.

Follow the directions in <install dir>/unix/README.md to compile and
install.

If you want the graphical display install too the "Simple DirectMedia
Layer" development package: libsdl-dev too as it isn't listed in the
README.md file but essential if you want the as the scene renders display.

Bill P.